8 Reasons Why You Should Adopt a Senior Dog
While puppies are snuggly and cute, they can also be tough work! Not to mention, they don’t come potty trained or know that you just bought that brand new couch. Older pets can offer the same amount of love and come with quite a few advantages. Sadly many are abandoned in shelters or neglected by families as their faces turn whiter and their bones grow weary.
If you’re thinking of adding a four-legged friend to your family, consider an older pet! Here are the top 8 reasons why you should adopt a senior.
1. You can save a life! Older pets are often the last to be adopted, making them more susceptible to euthanasia.
2. What you see is what you get. Personalities and behaviors are usually fully developed by the time an animal is full grown and there are few surprises after adoption.
3. Older pets are usually more experienced pets. This means they’re generally already housetrained and know basic commands.
4. You don’t have to sacrifice your sleep schedule. Puppies are like babies and can be up at wild hours of the night, whereas, older pets tend to adapt to your schedule.
5. New furniture stays new. Seniors are well past the stage of chewing everything in sight. If you’re worried for your belongings, opting for an older pet is the sensible choice.
6. Less maintenance means more time to enjoy their company. Companionship is the reason for adopting a pet so why not choose a pet that allows you to spend more time soaking up their love?
7. They’re independent. You can leave an older pet home alone if necessary without worrying about naughty puppy-like behaviors.
8. You’re helping yourself too. Open your heart and your home up to a senior and you’ll reap the rewards for a lifetime. Not only are they full of appreciation and love, but you’ll feel great about yourself for helping a senior pet!
To find out how you can make the biggest difference in a senior pet’s life, contact your local shelter! You won’t look back.