Did You Know These 5 Common Foods are Toxic to Your Dog?


The first thing that comes to mind on this topic is chocolate. Never give your dog chocolate. This is generally accepted as a no-brainer, even for those without pets. What is less commonly known is there are several other foods just as harmful, if not worse, for your dog.

If your family pets are anything like mine, you’ve probably experienced your fair share of begging for food under the table, accompanied by irresistible puppy eyes. You also know they eat just about anything you drop for them, whether it’s bad for them or not. The best defense? Educate yourself and your family on the most toxic household foods for dogs.

5 dangerous foods for your dog

Avocado

This may come as a shock to you (as it was to me) given avocado’s reputation for being quite healthy, however, Avocados contain a toxin called persin that, when ingested by household pets, can become life threatening. According to the ASPCA, persin is known to cause cardiovascular damage and dehydration to pets if consumed in large quantities. An added hazard is the large pit from within the fruit which dogs can easily choke on.

Grapes

Grapes and raisins are extremely toxic to pets, especially dogs. Although the toxin in grapes that is so harmful to dogs is still unknown, just a handful of grapes or raisins have been found to cause liver damage and kidney failure to your pup.

Macadamia Nuts

This is another one where the specific toxin is unknown, however, it is known something in macadamia nuts can cause dogs to become severely ill. It doesn’t take much of this particular food to cause symptoms in your pet, either. They usually appear within twelve hours and include stomach pains, lethargy, fever, dehydration, and loss of coordination and can last approximately 12 – 48 hours.

Onions

Whether they are raw or cooked, onions are considered one of the most toxic foods you can give your cat or dog. Onions contain a compound called thiosulphate which can cause anemia and red blood cell damage in pets. Symptoms to look out for are lethargy, vomiting, and bruising. These symptoms typically occur within two to four days after consumption. Be sure to keep onion and any food containing onion out of reach from your furry friends.

Xylitol

Xylitol is one of the most common sugar alcohols used in many household items and food products today. Some common examples include: gum, toothpaste, candy, packaged baked goods, pudding, cough syrup and gummy vitamins. According to the VCA Hospital, Xylitol toxicity can be very serious in dogs if they are to consume any of these products. Symptoms include low blood sugar, liver failure, seizures, loss of coordination, lethargy, coma and potentially death if not treated right away.

 

*This information was compiled from the following sources and you should always consult your veterinarian if you have concerns over your pet’s diet and food consumption

Sources: VCA, Humane Society, ASPCA